Wednesday, January 26, 2011

follow-up!

well, to follow-up my post about the necklace that I really liked but couldn't find online, I have a picture of my homemade creation to share:) And I am actually wearing it today! So, without further ado, my beautiful necklace:)


Lovely, isn't it?!
I am proud for sure:)

Now, moving out from under the title of "follow-up", I am inserting a recipe for a DELICIOUS, and very easy gumbo. MMM!

I have the LAST serving in front of me right now, and I just felt that I had to share:)

"Big Easy" Gumbo:

Total: 48 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings


Ingredients
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 1/2 cups frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
1 pound peeled, large raw shrimp (1 6/20 count)
Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until flour is chocolate colored. (Do not burn mixture.)


2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth; add chicken and next 2 ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.



Also, alongside the gumbo there is a rice dish, called "Hoppin John" that tastes very incredible alongside this awesome gumbo:
"Hoppin' John":


Total: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 3 cups

Ingredients
1  cup  diced sweet onion
2  tablespoons  bacon drippings
1  (8.5-oz.) package ready-to-serve jasmine rice
2  cups  cooked and drained black-eyed peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation
Sauté diced onion in bacon drippings in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden. Stir in rice and black-eyed peas; cook, stirring gently, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add salt and pepper to taste.


So, I highly recommend this meal, it is perfect for this weather we are having, rainy and cold!

~Allyson

(p.s. Both recipes taken from Southern Living, found online or in the magazine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment